July 20, 2020
Dear Residents and Families,
As I am sure many of you are aware, California is experiencing an increase in the reported COVID cases. We have just learned that one of our residents that has tested positive for COVID at the hospital. As a result, certain restrictions will be either be put back in place or be implemented for the first time in an effort to mitigate the spread of the infection and protect our residents and staff.
These restrictions include:
- Stopping visits with families outside the building; and
- Ceasing group activities within the facility for at least the next 2 weeks.
The positive resident was not showing any signs or symptoms of the virus while at The Lexington. The resident was tested for COVID-19 while at the hospital for another reason not related to the virus. Currently the resident is not in the building and is not anticipated to return yet.
Currently, no other residents or any staff are displaying signs or symptoms of the virus.
We have also initiated the specific action plan to respond to a COVID positive finding for a resident. This includes:
- Any additional suspected positive or diagnosed as positive for COVID residents will be isolated from other residents following CDC and local health department guidelines;
- We will activate our COVID team — caregivers that are dedicated to care only for suspected positive or diagnosed COVID residents;
- When caring for suspected or known positive residents, heighted infection control measures are used to protect staff and prevent the virus from transferring into our common areas; and
- We have arranged with the county health department to make on-site testing for all residents and staff in the next day or so.
We will, of course, continue our current infection control measures that include:
- Requirement of universal masking by staff and essential visitors at all times and residents when in common areas;
- Screening and taking the temperature of all staff members, external healthcare providers and other essential visitors upon entry into the building;
- Staff use of gloves and frequent hand washing/sanitizing between resident cares;
- Encouraging residents to perform frequent hand washing/sanitizing;
- Delivering meals to resident rooms;
- Increased cleaning of common areas and high touch surfaces;
- Restricted visitation to essential visitors; and
- Any residents leaving the Lexington campus for treatment at an external healthcare provider or for any other reason will be required to be quarantined upon his/her return.
We will continue to assess all residents for any signs and symptoms of the COVID-virus and will notify resident physicians and responsible parties on any changes of condition, whether COVID related or not.
We will provide you updates as things change in the community. As always, please contact me with any questions or concerns.